Monday, October 31, 2011

What an unfortunate name!

I loved Dick Van Dyke before I even knew his name. When I was little, I watched Mary Poppins just like any kid I knew, and just like all my friends, I loved Burt. It was such a funny character and what a dancer! And then I saw Scrubs years later, and there he was. And it made my day. He just has such an amazing smile and timing and well presence.

So when I was at the library and saw My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business, I was enticed by the title. I didn't know who it was by but when I pulled it off the shelf and saw his face smiling back, I just knew I had to read it. And read it I did. Sure it did take a little longer then I thought, but over all, totally worth it.

My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business isn't the quickest read. It doesn't quite suck you in like I thought it would. I didn't read it in one sit, and I didn't hunger for it when I was away. But I felt compiled to finish the night before it was due. I stayed up till almost midnight finishing his memoir, because I felt like it was just right.

I would really recommend that you pick up Dick Van Dykes memoir at the library. Sure it might take a looming due date to finish reading it, but hey, many many great papers have been written that way. No don't take it on the plane, because I can tell you, the TV is going to draw you in. But still, it is really worth the read, even if it isn't the quickest book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say