Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oh E Oh AhAh

Today, my family and I went to volunteer at the Gorilla Challenge 2011 in our home city, New Orleans. Its non prophet partner this year was the New Orleans Woman's shelter where my mom volunteers. Well, about a week ago, we got an email from someone at the shelter saying they need some people to work at the Gorilla Challenge. It didn't really say what we were doing, but we just assumed it would be a booth talking about the shelter. Anyway, I had a sleepover the night before and so when my mom picked me up at 8, I went home and slept for a few hours. But at noon, my mom and baby sister and I went back up, and that is when the fun began. For the first bit it was pretty silent. We grabbed some food and things started picking up.

My dad got the first group to get back, and I sort of watched him do it half way through until the second group got back. And since I was the only one around, I nabbed them and pretty much figured my way through checking their photos. And as soon as people really started coming in, it didn't stop.

I can't tell you how many pictures I looked at. There was a horrible glare which made things quite interesting. Anyway my food got to me just about as people really started to get into the plaza we were set up in. And a poster people had to take a picture in front of had been taken off of the arena. Some people did find a picture of the basketball stars that were on the poster and take a picture of them in front of it. Those people, amaze me.

 Sometimes there would be a lag in the stations before me, and I would be able to gobble down a wing or two, which by the way were amazing, but for the most part everything was high paced and fun. The two hours I spent working flew by and I really wish it would have lasted longer.

Afterwards, my family and I took a picture in front of the Gorilla Challenge sign. My dad had been running around the area where the Gorilla Challenge had been going on and if anyone found him, they got a gift certificate to the restaurant that was letting us use their space.

No, my Dad isn't a Gorilla. 
But sometimes...
He acts like one

And so that is why he is wearing a mask in the picture. My mom suggested that we do the Gorilla Challenge next year, but really I loved volunteering during it instead of running around the city, so I might just do that.

Anyway, the Gorilla Challenge is going around to a lot of different cities and so go to www.gorillachallenge.com and see if its coming to your city. Because really, it was a whole lotta fun to participate in. Oh and did I mention that everyone was dressed up? And really, there is no better way to get to know a city then running around it with 11 clues and a camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say