Thursday, October 20, 2011

How did he get away with it?

Last time I went to the library I picked up A Stolen Life by Jaycee Lee Dugard. Its a small book, with large print, and it didn't take me long to finish it. But what filled those pages were heart breaking. For those who didn't go to a super market or turn on the TV last year, Jaycee Dugard was abducted by Phillip Garrido and his wife Nancy at the tender age of 11. For the next 18 years she was kept in their back yard shed, sexually and emotionally abused, lost her name, and gave birth to two beautiful daughters with out medical attention or help. The first one A, was born when she was just 14. But then, she was found. And reunited with her family. A Stolen Life chronicles that journey in her own words. It is beautifully crafted and heart wrenching to read, but read I felt compelled to finish it. Once I had opened the cover I was drawn into a horrible world so different from my own. And if it hadn't been so publicized, I would have thought Jaycees story was forged. But I know its real, and it breaks my heart that something like that went on for 18 years unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. Great review - makes me want to read the book! It is so sad that she suffered the way she did, but it shows the strength of the human spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean and mean what you say