Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

When I was about 9, my mom and dad switched off cable. Why would they be so evil you may ask? Well they felt that I was getting an attitude from all of the Disney Channel. And in retrospect, they were probably right. But they were gracious enough to let us have a few shows. We had basic cable, probably stopping around channel 20, and then we had Discovery Heath and Discovery Kids. I'm sure there were more, but those are the ones I most distinctively remember. Anyway I got in the habit of watching medical shoes. Why? because 6 years ago was before the revolution of reality TV, and so medical shows, mostly about babies and OB-GYNs were the only good shows on the channels we had.

And just being able to watch medical shows changed my life forever. Although I didn't realize it at the time, watching only medical shows planted a seed in me. The seed was my desire to be a doctor. And that seed blossomed into a strong tree. Since I was around 9 or 10, I knew that was what I wanted to be. Its something I am incredibly passionate about, and I know I can make a difference in the world by doing that. Its a hard job, make no doubt about that, but its something that I think I am destined to do.

At camp I am known as Mama (last name) for a reason. I try to take care of everyone, and that is something I will be able to do as a doctor. Not only that but in Bio, the videos that gross everyone out fascinate me. The videos about Ebola and such. Just my day to day life validates that being a doctor is my calling. And although I have years until I see my first patient, I really can not wait. And I am so grateful that I have found my calling so early in life. Even as a little girl I knew. I would think about another career and would always come back to being a doctor. It just makes sense. Did/Do any of you know/knew what you want/wanted to be when you grew up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say