Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Obamas

Recently I went to the library after play practice. I rode the street car all the way there with my boat load of stuff, and went in to find that... THE ROOF COLLAPSED! That's right, part of the roof on the top of the library had collapsed. Now the library that I frequent is in an old house, that has been undergoing construction for years. In fact I wanted to have my Bat Mitzvah party there but that is irrelevant.


Anyway, when I got to the library and heard that we could not go upstairs, I looked around and quickly found the only adult books in the floor that was open were the books that had just been returned. So not willing to go home empty handed, I briefly perused the books for any gems. And gems I did find.


One of them being Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage by Christopher Anderson. This book showed the readers the lives of Barack and Michelle Obama, before each other, and before they burst onto the political scene. When Barack was a boy living in Hawaii and Michelle was still a young girl in Chicago. We see Barack's troubled childhood and Michelle's hard working perseverance. Over all, we see their lives apart and together. One thing that really bothered me, just like in the Will and Kate book is the focus on Barack. I guess the author figures that the reader is going to be more interested in him, however I would have liked a little more on Michelle.


After I read it I loaned Barack and Michelle to my mom, who also greatly enjoyed it. Over all, its a pretty good read, informational but light and very very easy to get into. I'd definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say