Friday, November 18, 2011

That and a Dollar Will Buy You a Cup of Coffee

Anyone who has ever been to my house knows that I live across the street from a park. Now most of you have never been to my house, but let me describe the park. It has a beautiful fountain in it, and a rope swing that has provided hours of entertainment to myself and my friends. It also is a very popular spot for people who have no where else to go. A few years back, there would be a lot of people sleeping in the park, but these days everyone seems to be gone by 10 at night. During the day however, you never know who your gonna meet. I know that sounds kinda weird but I have lived by the park my entire life, and it really doesn't bother me.

A few days ago, I went out with my dog and a good book to let him run around and play. I sat down on one of the benches and started to read. A little while later, a man came over and asked if he could sit on the other side of the bench. I of course said yes, he looked like he might not have a home, but looked like he had it all there. I continued reading my book, some what on edge, but honestly there was a lot of families in the park and the school near by was just getting out. He asked me what I was reading, and if it was fiction or non fiction, and that started off a conversation.

I found out that his name is Steven, and that he had a degree in trumpet performance. He was surprised of my age, and was filled with some really interesting sayings. I told him that I wanted to be a doctor, and later on that I was going to major in history. He started laughing and said "That and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee." That made me chuckle, because its true. Degrees like history or music degrees really only help you if you want to teach or do research. Luckily, I don't need to major in anything in particular to be a doctor, but still it got me to thinking about life and how important going to college really is. Steven said to me that I need to just do it, and go through college no matter what because its incredibly important. As the daughter of two academics, that is something that has been ingrained in me from day one, but to hear him saying that, it really hammered in the point. And that is why I am adding getting a college degree to my list, to honor Steven and because really, its important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say