Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Convictions are Confusing

A few weeks ago, my mom had to go to a hospital to get something checked out. Don't worry, she's fine it was just a follow up. Anyway, she asked if I wanted to go along with her because she knows how much I love spending time in hospitals. Maybe its the whole future doctor thing, maybe I just like big buildings with a  lot of things going on in them. Well after she was checked out and everything we walked across the street to go to the big library.


When we got there, it so happened that my moms friend Robin (who is the mother of one of the lovely little girls in my Sunday School class) works there. So naturally we went and said hi, and after some talking, Ms. Robin recommended Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. I had heard of Geraldine Brooks, she wrote a really good book called March about the father in Little Women. But since I haven't finished Little Women I have never read March because well its just not something I do. But I had only heard amazing things of her, and being the risk taker I am, I checked out Caleb's Crossing.

After a while, I started reading the novel. And I fell in love. No Caleb's Crossing did not draw me in and make me read and read till very late at night. Yes there would be days where I would have to force myself to read it. But over all Caleb's Crossing was still amazing. It was based off a true story, and the transferring through different time periods was fantastic. It also shows, it simplistic clarity, the traps and confusions of convictions. There are a few different characters with different points of view and to see them both see and think why they are right and being so confused of the others points of view is just beautiful. Especially because the people whose minds are slowly opening are children. To see the prejudice slowly fade is so sweet and innocent. If only people could be like that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say