Monday, November 28, 2011

Oddest phone call ever

As you guys know by my last post, yesterday was the one year anniversary of a young girl named Abby. Her little sister is in my little sisters class, and I have seen her mom around the school. Of course, I never have any idea what to say. For you people who don't know me, although most of you do, I am a generally awkward person. I'd love to play it off and say that it is just part of me being a teenager but lets be honest its really just who I am.

But one thing that I really do like is that I am willing to be as awkward as it takes to do something that I think is right. And that is how I found myself on the kitchen phone one night calling up the mom of my former classmate and best friend of Abby's mom to find out what kind of cake she preferred. Yes that's right I was going to make a cake for a woman who lost her child exactly a year ago. I don't really know how that idea got into my mind, but once it did it stuck.

Her best friend never did call me back, so I just settled on baking a regular white cake. Easy right? Wrong! First I spilt flour all over the place. Being clumsy and baking isn't a good combo, so you'd think I'd stop doing it. I never learn. Then, just as I thought things were going well, I realized we had four eggs. The cake demanded it have eight, so off the to the store my dad and I went. But it was pretty smooth sailing from then on out, the cake baked in 25 minuets which was nice and my dad and I sat around the kitchen table and read the New Yorker waiting for it to finish. It sat in the spring form pan covered with a plate cooling overnight.

The next day (i.e. yesterday) I frosted the white cake with chocolate frosting to have a sort of yin yang kind of things. The recipe for the icing also came from Joy of Cooking, a kind of two birds one stone kind of thing. It was a real simple icing, chocolate bars and peppermints, and it spread nice and easy. I tried doing some decorations but the icing was too thin, so it just ended up being very chocolaty. Which really isn't a big problem.

Doesn't that look yummy

So originally I planed on dropping off the cake before seeing Breaking Dawn with my friend Aaron. Yea I know why would I spend my hard earned money, OK my dad's hard earned money, on such drivel but if it makes you feel any better I wore my robes, he wore a Diggory Hufflepuff sign and we made fun of it the whole time. I think that the entire theater hated us by the end of the movie. But anyway back to the story. After the movie my dad and I ran some more errands before dropping the cake off at the families house. In the interest of discretion I won't say their names. 
Look at what the mitzvah fairy dropped off


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say