Thursday, November 10, 2011

Over 4,000 Miles on a Bike? You Must Be Crazy!

On Columbus Day my dad and I went on a bike ride. My baby sister and mom went to chuck-e-cheeses and we rode and got burritos. Why did I go on a bike ride on my Monday off school? Well let me start with a back story. Its somewhat long so hold tight y'all.

When my dad was growing up, he lived in Carmel. And Carmel has some amazing bike trails. And hills. Basically its all New Orleans doesn't have. And this breed a love of biking. When I was little he use to tell me he would bike up hill both ways to school every morning in 2 feet of snow. Now that's mostly not true, but the biking part is. And when he was 16, he and his three best friends rode across the country on their bikes. How crazy is that?

Well so crazy that he would always tell me stories about that trip. And jokingly say that one day we would do it together. Well, when I was coming up with things to put on my list this summer at camp, and the very first thing I could think of was to bike across the country. My friends thought I was crazy, but also how cool it was. My dad never thought I was serious, in fact the night after I told him I wanted to start training, I heard him talking to his high school friend Belle and said that he would be pretty surprised if I actually meant what I said.

And boy have  been proving him wrong. We have been going on 15 mile bike rides on the weekends, and I have been learning all about what it takes. I've started to really love my bike, and meld into it. I can't even describe the amazing feeling of just getting on a bike and riding. And because of all this training, I have also realized that I love to run, so that is another plus. I'll be going across this great nation of ours in two summers, and I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say