Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Power of the Written Word

Last Friday my temple had a Shabbat Movie dinner thing for the little kids. So my Dad and little sister went, and my mom and I stayed home and decided to watch a movie. She has been a die hard supporter of my blog, I think most of the page views are from her, and so she suggested that we watch one of the movies from my list. So after dropping my baby sister off at temple, and picking up some yummy wings for dinner, we settled down on the couch and I started reading out movies from the list.

Obviously we didn't get very far before settling on Atonement. My friend had read the book a few years ago, and it sounded fascinating. I suggested it to her, and it turns out my mom had read the book also, so we started to watch and eat. Honestly, I loved Atonement. Yes, it was very explicit at times, and not always just sexually. There were some pretty intense war scenes. And yes, sometimes it was a little complicated. But really if you just kept watching, all would have been reviled. It was really funny because as my mom and I were watching, my dad and baby sister came home during one of the more explicit scenes. We started scrambling around for the remote, and it seemed to take forever for it to power up. In reality it took about 3 seconds, but with my baby sister walking up the stairs, it seemed like the remote would not power up fast enough.

Over all, I adored Atonement. But don't watch it if you arnt ready for some of the stuff that happens. Honestly, its worth the wait to see it, because its a beautiful movie. Its artsy but in a way that I enjoyed and the music is just phenomenal. I'd really recommend it, because watching this movie took my breath away at some points.

1 comment:

Say what you mean and mean what you say