Sunday, December 18, 2011

This City Can Kick Your Booty

I think its really ironic that I read Lost on Treasure Island by Steve Friedman on the way to New York for Thanksgiving weekend. I'd started reading it a few weeks before, and then of course put it down to read something that was due earlier. Because really how many times in the course of this blog has this not happened? I get a good book, start reading and then have to put it down for one reason or another. But I digress.

So by the time I was finishing Lost on Treasure Island I was on an incredibly bumpy plane ride to the big apple. At first I tried to read through it, but the turbulence was so bad that eventually I had to put my book down and pray the plane down. That's how freaked out I was. But eventually we landed, and I got to finish my book.

Lost on Treasure Island was a lot better then I expected. From the looks of it when I grabbed it at the library, it was one of those somewhat random books that drew me too it. And I love New York, so I figured why not. And although Lost on Treasure Island was confusing at points, it was also incredibly good. It follows a young man, who moves to New York and gets a job at GQ. It shows his struggles, his triumphs, but more likely his failures. It isn't always a happy feel good story, but it is real and inspiring. To keep going even if you don't like what you are doing. Because doing something is much better then doing nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say