Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Love and War: Books I always seem to read?

Sometimes I just have this overwhelming urge to go to the library. Sometimes I slowly go through books and don't realize that I have nothing left to read. This happened a while ago when I had finished all my work early and wanted to settle in and take a long bath and read. But I had no books. So I bugged my mom to drive me to the library to get something good to read. And then I got there and saw that the upstairs was closed for some reason. And the first floor was all picture books. Luckily there are a few carts of books that need to be re shelved after being checked in. Sometimes I look through those to find something to read that I normally wouldn't have found. So that's what I did. And I found a few gems.

Next to Love by Ellen Feldman was one of those books. It drew me in and I could not pull myself away from it. It takes place in a pretty normal town somewhere in the US. I'm sure the name is told but really its unimportant. The plot line revolves around three friends, Babe, Millie, and Grace. Millie and Grace are pretty well to do, although Millie's mother and father both died when she was young. Babe however lives on the "wrong side of town" and although Graces mother did not want them to be friends, a bond was formed. The three of them all have husbands that go off to war, and the book switches perspectives between the three friends, their husbands, their children, and other people in their lives to create a full painting of their lives slightly before, during, and after the second world war. Feldman's writing is captivating and her plot lines excellent. The way they weave together truly mirror the way life works. However in life you normally don't get the privilege of seeing other peoples perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say