Saturday, December 24, 2011

In Which I Discover My Love of Hospitals

Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while knows I want to be a doctor. If your new, quick recap. I've wanted to be a doctor since the age of nine when my mom and dad took away most of the "kid channels" aka Disney and Nickelodeon because I had developed an attitude. The only good channels were TLC, Discovery Health, and Discover Kids and so I watched a bunch of doctor shows.

So about two summers ago when I heard that the local children's hospital was offering a summer volunteer program for kids my age, I obviously applied. I filled out all of the forms, got the required teacher recommendations, mailed everything in, and waited. After a while some of my friends started to get their acceptance letters and I started to become nervous that I hadn't made the cut. But a few days later I got the letter saying I had been accepted for the summer program and that I would be working in urology and physicians billing.

After a brief orientation and TB test I had gotten my work clothes and was all ready to go. I loved spending time at the hospital. The hustle and bustle of people doing things that really made a difference put a pep in my step and I especially loved my time in physicians billing, creating charts with different prices to make things go smoothly. Urology was great but it was a lot of filing and weeding through papers. But in both places my work was really appreciated and in doing it I freed up everyone else to do more important things.

In the middle of the day I ate lunch with my friends who we in different departments and just sat around chatting. For an almost high schooler like my self it was very empowering and freeing. And I found out how much I love to be in a hospital. As long as I am not sick that is.

Oh and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Winter Solstice, Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say