Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sometimes the Road Less Followed is the Best

I don't know if you guys know this but I am home schooled. I wasn't when I started this blog, and it was an interesting transition. I know I have hinted to it in the past, but since the transition was so odd I don't think that I ever came out and said it.

Regardless I am home schooled. And it's been absolutely wonderful for me. I haven't been this happy and rested in years, and I am doing wonderfully in my classes even though I started mid year. It has also helped me get more organized. When I was in a brick and mortar school I use to forget to write down assignments and even if I did I'd leave my assignment pad at home. I was always forgetting to do things or that I had a quiz the next day. But when you are home schooled, there is no room for that. The teachers are not on your back as much about work and it is really up to you to get things done and turned in in a timely mater.

So I came up with this post it note system:


It might be hard to see, but on the calendar are all the classes for that day. On the poster board on the chair are all of my over due assignments since I started mid semester and am still catching up. Each post it note is a different color according to class and the post it note colors and binder colors are the same except in math because they do not make black post it notes to my knowledge. On the panes of glass are the key to the post it not colors, what I need to do for that day, my goals, my meetings and class connect sessions, notes if I need to email a teacher, and what I have done for that day. If I finish something I move it to the what I have done that day pane of glass. I've found that having this system has really improved my grades and organizational skills in home schooling.

Oh and let me clear something up. I am not in one of those home schooling programs where my mother sits and teaches me everything every day. I am enrolled in George Washington Universities Online High School and have teachers for all of my classes and an advisor. It is like a distance learning course more then home schooling. And if you are incredibly stressed in a brick and mortar school, I would really recommend it. Switching made my very happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say