Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Goodness

I've always had unruly hair. Its my dads, and I always said he was lucky that his was always so short. When I was little my friend cut off all my hair after my fourth birthday party. It was boy short, in fact I looked like a splitting image of my cousin Andy (not the same person as my bestie) who is one year younger then me. It was so much easier to handle, and as it grew out I had the most adorable ringlets. But for some reason I have always, baring that, had long tangled hair. It gets in my way, gets in the worst snarls and tangles and is generally just a pain. But there are people out there that have lost their hair because of chemo. From what I've read chemo is a long process of poisoning your body to kill the fast growing cancer cells. It can save your life. But the downside is horrible nausea, loss of appetite, and loss of hair. Many people going through chemo chose to get wigs for various reasons. Problem is human hair is pretty hard to come by. The only way to get it is through donation.

I've thought about donating my hair hundreds of times. Hell I almost went through with it once. But for some reason I never could. I'd give the clothes off my back to someone that needed them but there was something about cutting off my hair that I just couldn't do. I've always had long hair it's part of who I am. Every time one of my friends cut their hair and donated it, I felt this pang of shame that I never could. But that all changed since I started this blog. I've realized how lucky I am to have such long hair, and that its time to give back to people who aren't lucky enough to have long hair like I do.

So here is the before
You can't really see all of it, but you get the idea
It's such a pain to take care of
And here is the after

Its really different, and it feels like my head is a few pounds lighter. If you don't believe me check out how much hair was cut off
John (the man that cuts my father and my hair) says that it is perfect hair for a wig because it hasn't been colored at all. Later on I filled out the forms for Locks of Love and I figured I'd put my blog address in the comments section. Its a total long shot but if anyone from Locks of Love is reading this: hi! Welcome to my blog. I hope you like it. 

So after I filled out the form there wasn't time to stamp it, and I didn't get home till late. Like 11 o'clock late. But I weighed it, and stamped it, and put it out on our mail.

I figured it would get sent out the next day. Wrong I was because there is no post on Sunday's. One of the many ways Harry Potter has enriched my life. Thank you J.K. Rowling for everything! 


1 comment:

Say what you mean and mean what you say