Saturday, March 31, 2012

Old McDonald Had a Farm

I confess to loving McDonalds. Yes I have read the horror stories, and I know its not good for me in ANY stretch of the word, but lets face it the fries are like heaven. Deep fried, salty, potato heaven. Don't pretend you don't know what I mean, they are good.

I knew off the Ronald McDonald house, having seen the quarter collecting jars at the front of the store and some TV specials but had no idea there was one in New Orleans. But at the HPA meeting not only did I find out that we had a Ronald McDonald house, but were going to cook dinner with them for the Hunger is Not a Game Campaign. Ironically I had started reading the hunger games that day. But more on that later.

My family and I showed up this afternoon at the house at 4, right on time. Maybe a few minuets late. However one thing we didn't know was the amount of traffic everyone else ran into on the way over. We hung around the house for a half hour, took a tour, and then thinking that no one else was going to show up, started making a pasta sauce with vegetables as a back up plan.

A few more people trickled in, with the recipe and supplies and we put the pasta sauce in the fridge and started cooking. We made crawfish Alfredo, some sort of salad, and cupcakes made with soda. That's right soda. I didn't end up trying one, but they were fluffy and good looking.

I loved the feel at the house. It was brightly painted, warm, and somehow had a sense of privacy. They are looking to move to a bigger location, right now the house can have 15 families, and somewhere closer to the hospitals. OH and did I mention the play room. It was full of books, games, dolls, everything a kid could ever want. And the kids were free to run and play while their parents did other things in the next room. It was awesome!


Volunteer Update: 4.3 days volunteered so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say