Sunday, March 11, 2012

Warning: If Reading Have Russian Food On Hand

I blogged earlier about Russian food and how wonderful it is, both to cook and to eat. The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah is what spurred me to make some. I first spotted this novel in a air port book store, which is the best place to find books to be honest. Anyway I picked it up, and read the back, and was intrigued but of course didn't have any money on me to purchase the book so stored the title in the corner of my brain and went on with my day.

Fast forward many weeks and as I was perusing the shelves as I am apt to do a book caught my eye. You guessed it The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It grabbed me by the hand and took me on a journey of love, loss, confusion, and history. It is so descriptive, I felt like I was actually their. I brought The Winter Garden with me to a weekend long regional event and started reading it on the three to four hour long bus ride home. My pulse quickened as the story progressed and the entire world just stopped existing as I read on. On the rare occasion that I could pull myself out of the story the world seemed so much sharper, the details standing out. I don't know what it is about books that are written with spot on descriptions but they make me notice the world a bit more then I normally do.

The reason I say to have Russian food on hand when reading The Winter Garden is because Russia, and consequently Russian food are a large part of the novel. Because of the spot on descriptions each page of The Winter Garden made my mouth water and my stomach growl. I would recommend it whole heartily, it is a story that will stick in my mind for ages to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say