Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Touching and Remarkable

To be frank, I have never followed politics. I know some, mostly the presidential candidates, but I probably should know more. I of course did not know who Gabby Giffords was, her being a congressperson representing Arizona. So of course, on the awful day she and 19 other people were either killed or wounded was the first day I heard of her. I distinctly remember sitting in advisory at my old school that Thursday, listening to one of my fellow advises and advisor talk about what had happened. I asked then who Gabby Giffords was, probably not the smartest thing to do because my advisor turned to me and said something along the lines of "you have got to be kidding me." I mumbled something and turned away blushing, going to Lord Google with my inquiries. I followed her progress some in the coming months, cheering at her triumphs and saddened by the unneeded deaths of 9 innocent people.

Gabby by Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords is one of the most heart wrenching books I have ever read. It was ghost written by Jeffery Zaslow. I could write many blog posts about how much I love Jeffery Zaslow, and I will talk about him soon discussing a book he wrote called The Magic Room. But for now I shall talk about how wonderful the love story between Gabby and Mark is. Their love is so strong, and has overcome an assassination attempt and a few trips to the moon. Gabby was of course, incredibly well written. I would not expect anything less from Zaslow, but as always it pulled me in and took me on a roller coster, enjoying a book that I never thought I would have. Its a wonderfully spun story, and I am sure will be helpful for American Historians a hundred years from now, as they wonder not only about a congressperson and an astronaut, but also how an amazing author wrote in our times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say