Tuesday, March 27, 2012

In Which I Finally Finish Talking About the Bar Mitzvah

Alright Ev, I know its been about a month since your Bar Mitzvah but I've been busy ok? Anyway when we last left our heroin she was at her first, and possibly last, New York Bar Mitzvah. One thing I discovered was that conservative services are about twice as long as reform services. However the service was absolutely breath taking, and Ev did a fantastic job. Sadly there is no photographic evidence because you can't take photos on Shabbas in conservative temples. I was invited to the bima to read a prayer for our country and sing some blessings with other people. I wasn't really warned about it, it just kind of happened. However I was honored to be asked to say a prayer at Ev's bar mitzvah, especially because he was to young to speak at mine.

After the oneg my dad and I went to the Grand Central Station Apple Store and to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, both of which were fascinating in different ways. I had seen the Dead Sea Scrolls in Israel when I was 12 but the exhibit at the Discovery Center was amazing, with historical background and even a mock Wailing Wall where people could place prayers that would be placed in the real Western Wall.

Dad and I made it to grandma's apartment just in time to quickly get ready and go to the Yale Club to get pictures taken. And pictures were taken, many of them with every position and combination possible. After that we went to cocktail hour in the library with all sorts of food and drink. But then, the real party began. We were ushered upstairs into this grand room with tables for adults and a buffet for kids. There was a photo booth and a dance floor, everything you could ever imagine for a bar mitzvah. We sang, danced, ate, drank, and talked the night away. I had a seat at a table but spent a lot of time with Ev's friends and just in general had a ball. It was the quintessential New York Bar Mitzvah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say