Thursday, March 15, 2012

Juana La Loca

I must confess that I don't know very much about Juana of Castile. Her sister Catalina, I do know about, she falls into my original area of interest, that being Tudor history. However in every passing year that interest widens. And so when I saw a book on the shelf about Juana of Castile, I figured it would be an interesting read about her. And that it was. in The Last Queen by C.W. Gortener, I learned about Spain's "mad" queen.
Now of course The Last Queen being historical fiction I can never know for sure what really went down with Juana and if she was really mad or not. However The Last Queen did portray a very good balance of her sanity, with Juana quite sane originally and eventually driven mad by scheming and plots against her and her family. Gortener breathed some life into a pretty much forgotten historical figure, and and made me genuinely interested in her plight. The Last Queen was a truly interesting and intriguing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say