Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rant

So this blog is about what runs through my brain. Normally it has to do with my bucket list. But I figure sometimes something is going to come up that I want to talk about. That isn't on "The list." And I think that I am going to sometimes just Rant about things. I promise that any of my rants, or really all my posts, are my thoughts. No one is bribing me. So here goes.

Its safe to assume most people in the continental US have been to Sports Academy or Sports Authority or really any store around. I went to one of those such stores today, to get a pair of yoga pants and a mat. I went to the pants first. They were either to tight or baggy in weird places. Maybe they don't make yoga pants for people of my shape, but I feel like thats a total lie.

Everything at the sports store was geared to someone. Bright pink bikes for little girls, pastel yoga mats and starter sets with dainty but muscly women on them showing results that are not typical for the average user, and camouflage everywhere. Now I get camo, there is nothing wrong with it, but it accosted my eyes with such severity that I started to think about the branding in sports stores.

Everyone, and by everyone I mean the people that market the brands, want to to buy their product to be different, and inherently better. Real women do yoga, girls are princesses, and real men can not, under any circumstance, wear pink or anything pastel. You need to be slimmer, hotter, more toned, all with their products of course.

A lot of people are manufacturing pink guns. Now that sentence alone has nothing wrong with it, pinks a fun color. But the guns are pink to attract women to them. Because in this day and age women can't do anything that isn't feminine. I am a woman. I have shot a gun before, and let me tell you the experience would not be any different if the gun had been pink, or green, or purple, or tye-dye. When it comes down to it a gun is a gun, and the color is just for aesthetics. And attracting a different type of customer.

Whats so wrong with being who you are. Just you, who you are in your soul. Enough with this whole peer pressure thing. It doesn't end well for anyone. Growing up is hard enough without having to deal with what magazines and the "media" says we need to look like. Why can't we all accept each other for what we like. Hi I'm M and I like to read. I also love to bike and cook. I am not model thin and I don't wear the newest fashions. Most of my clothing comes from a thrift store and its not because thats all we can afford. Clothing today is so reveling, its easier to find modest things in a thrift store. There is nothing wrong with a  little mystery. But I will rant about that another day. And I definitively don't party. So I guess by all of those descriptions I am a nerd. Or a geek or a looser. I've been called a slut too. Because why not?

I think that we all need to get rid of those idea of what people should be, the social cast system. We should just accept people for who they are and what they like. Why shouldn't boys like pink, women wear combat boots, and men like to be pampered sometimes? I feel like as long as we aren't hurting anyone, why should we care what other people are doing, looking like, or enjoying to do. Why do we all have to be model perfect? Why can't we be something better. Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say