Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Can You Say Stereotype?

My people, the Jews, have been stereotyped for centuries. I have the belief that all stereotypes have some basis in reality but some of the things I have heard have been ridiculously over blown. I will spare you all the details but generally when people write jewish characters they tend to over blow the stereotypes. Now I don't want you to take that to mean that I think all authors do that, but it does tend to happen, and honestly is a pretty easy thing to do.

At first glance most people find that The Victory Gardens of Brooklyn by Merrill Joan Gerber is full of stereotypes. At originally I would agree. But after delving into the characters, their motives, and situations, I really feel like it is how most people, jewish or not, would respond. Overall, The Victory Gardens of Brooklyn was fine. It didn't inspire me, or leave me feeling anything powerful. Its not a bad read per say, but I can't say its my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say