Tuesday, March 13, 2012

1,000 Pages of War and Love

Oprah. The word alone is inspiring, and something that everyone trusts. When she condones a product everyone immediately knows it good. So when she endorses a book, you know its great. My dad got my mom a year of books from the Oprah Book Club for Christmas one year, and one of them was Pillars of the Earth. My mom and I both read it, and loved it. At my summer camp there was a library no one ever really used. We would hang out there and I borrowed books over the summer including World Without End the second book in the Kingsbridge Trilogy and adored it as well.

When I saw Fall of the Giants by Ken Follett, I figured I couldn't go wrong reading a book by an author I loved so much. And I was right. Fall of the Giants was amazing. It had a little to much detail about the war for my taste but that is to be expected. The writing was exquisite, the characters had a breath of life in them, and the interpersonal dramas were believable and not over dramatic. I would love to see Fall of the Giants on the silver screen, however I feel like it could never live up to what played in my head as I read the book. It may seem like a tome at first but it reads fast and is worth the time. Its a truly amazing representation on the events before during and directly after world war one and shows the point of view of many people in many countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say