Tuesday, May 1, 2012

And Now I Farm

As much as I love growing up in the biggest small town in America, the one thing I dislike is the lack of available gardening space. Some of my friends have good yards, but our house has little land and littler sunlight. Gosh darn those big southern oaks. I compensate with window boxes and capitalizing on the little growing space we have.

Enter GreenRoots Nola, an amazing organization with a few community gardens around the city. I volunteered with them for J-Serve last year, and then went for a few hours to get the feel of the garden again for some girl scout stuff. And I had a blast. Everyone was so nice and I painted some box frames and weeded a few different garden beds. But my favorite part was picking fresh tomatoes off of the vine for them to give to the members of the garden. After that all of the volunteers for the night got to eat fresh made food from the garden, some of the best food I have ever put into my mouth. The food was fresh and you knew exactly where it came from and how it was grown. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

A few weeks later I went to J-Serve for the second year. There wasn't as big of a turn out, and most people were from BBYO. But I still had a great time planting things and weeding, just regular garden things. Be sure to stay tuned to hear more about Nola GreenRoots, because I'll be spending a lot of time with them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say