Sunday, May 20, 2012

Soldiers Angels

It all started on Post Secret. Someone talked about how much it meant to them when they got letters from civilians through a pen pal service while deployed. Actually there were a few secrets about service people pen pal programs. And as I read them I got curious about what these programs did. I had read about programs like that in 8th grade and actually signed up for one, however after reading the amount of rules I got somewhat confused and sadly never wrote. I still think of the original service person, I don't remember what site I used, and hope that someone ended up writing him.

In December, after reading the post secrets, I started doing some research and found a program that I really loved, and still love. Its called Soldiers Angels and it is made up of some of the most amazing men and women I have ever met. I joined Ladies of Liberty and adopted my first pen pal in December and now am also a part of the Letter Writing Team and have filled my maximum of three pen pals. The first thing an angel learns is to never expect letters back. With how busy most of our brave men and women are over seas most of them don't have the time to write back. Some of them simply cannot for one reason or another.

However every once in a while a letter comes stamped as "free mail." Its called that because our service people don't pay postage while they are deployed, something that I love. Getting free mail has become the highlight of my weeks, because I know how far that letter has traveled. I always write back, and a few soldiers and I have even developed a friendship, sending letters back and forth. One is heading home soon and has given me her home address so we can keep writing each other. Every soldier I have ever heard from says that having their name called during mail call makes them feel so happy, many of them need the support from up.

I originally recorded the time I spent writing for SA to go towards my goal of volunteering for a cumulative year. I spend about 30 minuets to an hour writing for SA every day, however as the months go on I realized that writing for SA is something that doesn't count for this, because I write to develop friends. It's not something that I do for service hours, although honestly I don't do anything just for service hours. Soldiers Angels is the most amazing website, and community, I have ever been a part of. Even though I am one of the youngest Angels I still feel like a loved, and even respected, part of the community. Most of us are part of FaceBook pages and all talk to each other, and can recognize who each of us are. I have even started writing letters to some other angels who have sent me things for my soldiers.

I am very proud to be a Soldiers Angel of almost 6 months. It is an eye opening and wonderful experience and I want to send my love out to any Angel that happens upon this page. I know none of us do this for thanks or recognition but I want to tell you all how much it means to everyone we write to, something we all hopefully already know. And anyone who is deploying or knows someone who is, I'd recommend that you put in your/their name and info in to SA, especially if they don't get much support at home because you will gain a family of angels very quickly.

From wingtip to wingtip may no soldier go unloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say