Friday, May 11, 2012

I May Be Raised in the South, But I Dont Have a Souther Mama

I was born and raised in one of the bigger cities in the South, full of Southern Belles and Southern Traditions. Debutant balls, southern accents, and bless your heart. My best friend Noodles mom is a born and raised southern belle and a prime example of how different things are down here. Going to Noodles house is always different then going to anyone else's, they always have full meals on good china and under portraits of long gone family members. Now its not to say that Noodle lives in some sort of grand house stereotypical of the South.

The day before we went to Disney World forever ago, I dropped by my absolutely favorite bookstore, Garden District Books. I don't normally buy books, because I read so much it wouldn't be the smart thing to do, but when I do buy a book I always go to Garden District. The occasion that merited a trip to Garden District was to get a birthday present for a friend I would be seeing in Orlando. When I  was there I picked up a book called Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On! by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson. It was the perfect plane read, a lot of stories from the author and other southern girls about their mothers wisdom. It put in full detail all sorts of mannerisms and sayings of different southern women.

You don't have to be born and raised in the south to enjoy Suck You Stomach In and Put Some Color On! I laughed out loud at least once reading it, and found it to be a very interesting, and as far as I can tell non exaggerated, book about the south. Its funny, easy to read, and not that long, so I'd say that its a great book to pick up and devour in a few hours/days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say