Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Magic Room

I have always counted myself lucky to have a close relationship with my dad. We go on bike rides together, watch movies together, and just pal around. Not every girl can say that their dad randomly gets books for them when shopping online. That's of course not to say that my relationship with my father is perfect, but its probably as close as it gets.

The book he ordered online The Magic Room by Jeffery Zaslow. I read it in February (which just shows you how behind I am with book reviews) but around when I read it, I learned that Zaslow had recently passed in a car accident, leaving behind three daughters. I have always been a fan of Zaslow's, his Girls of Ames book was beautiful and as most of you have read I adored Gabby. He is well known for his ghost written books, which is when I read The Magic Room I was glad to see he was getting a front cover billing. However reading about the love he has for is daughters, and knowing he had recently passed, it made me so sad.

Regardless, The Magic Room is a literary triumph. I teared up a few times reading the back stories about the brides. The Magic Room is about a small bridal shop that has been passed down from mother to daughter for over a century. One thing that makes the shop special is the magic room, which is full of mirrors and soft lighting, where brides fall in love with their dresses, and mothers cry. Zaslow mixed the stories of the brides and the history of the shop into a wonderful medley, and has even made my dad tear up a few times. It's a wonderful swan song for a fantastic writer gone to soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say