Sunday, January 1, 2012

He's Not Dead Yet

Like I said in the last post I wrote involving books, the last time I went to the library the upstairs containing all of the adult books was closed. So I was forced to look through the recently checked in books downstairs. Who ever had just checked in books really liked WWII, because I found two books next to each other about the Second World War. Next to Love why I talked about a few days ago and Unbroken by Laura Hillendrand.

I have heard about Laura Hillendrands previous books Sea Biscuit but had never read it nor any of her other books. But the description in the dust jacket of Unbroken intrigued me, and although I couldn't tell if it was a true story I checked out Unbroken and brought it home. And once I started to read it I fell in love.

The tale in Unbroken of an Olympic runner Louis Zamperini who then after a plane crash lived in a raft for almost 50 days and then in a Japanese POW camp for two and a half years. It also describes the his post traumatic stress disorder and what it was like to try to live a regular life.

Unbroken is an amazing story of survival and beating the odds. It is almost unbelievable that a human could live through what he did, and I spent the first half of the book wondering if it was a work of fiction. Zamperini's story is so remarkable and inspiring that I could not put it down. I had to know what would happen the Louis and his friend Allen who was also with him. Its a great read for the holidays, because you'll need a lot of time to read it, because Unbroken was almost impossible to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say