Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lost about half her blood and lived!

One of the things I am guilty of is buying books in the airport bookstore. My dad makes fun of me for packing a traveling library, and then I turn around and buy books at the airport bookstore. I guess that's why there is one in every airport. I hate to be board and I have the feeling so do most Americans.

That is how I ended up reading Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton. Anyone who has been following my blog for a while knows that my family watched the movie Soul Surfer together a few months ago, and we all loved it. It in fact inspired me to do a day with one arm. In doing so I broke one of my cardinal rules in seeing a movie before I read the book. But that was rectified over the vacation when I got Soul Surfer in one of the many airports we were in. I think it was LA, might have been Huston but it doesn't matter. What does is how amazing Soul Surfer was.

I know many people might be put off by the religious aspect of the book, but I can guarantee you that it did not come off as preachy or pushy. Yes Bethany and her family are religious and yes that does come up a few times within the course of the memoir but so does surfing. Bethany talks about surfing as much as if not more then she does about her faith and just because she talks about it doesn't mean that I want to become a devout surfer. And the same is said for her faith. It was interesting to read about but it wasn't something that made me want to go out and become Christian. That doesn't mean that the book won't have that effect on you, but the religious part of Soul Surfer should not scare you away from reading such an amazing and inspiring book. It really is worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say