Sunday, April 15, 2012

Scull the Tiller

On one of our last days at Coronado my dad and I got to take a sailing lesson. We walked a short way to the docks from our hotel and then had to turn around and go back because everything wasn't in order. Ah well, we had been there early enough that it didn't change anything. Gotta love how laid back they are. We were sent to a boat and met with Dave, our sailing guide. We all hopped on and got going

Look at me look at me I'm on a boat!

My dad and I were told a few different things and just kind of got going. Sailing was very relaxing just moving through the water, the wind blowing through my hair, conversation flowing like the breeze. I couldn't tell how old Dave was, but he told story after story about his sailing trips and different boats he's sailed on. It was fascinating. 

What a great view

Sadly the sun started to set and we had to start back. 


However as it is like to do in Coronado, when the sun disappears so does the wind. We slowed down for a while and eventually came to a stop about 200 yards away from the dock. Dave said that we could just turn on the engine and zoom right in, but me being the purest that I am, when told there was another way jumped on it. The other way it turns out is moving the rudder back and forth to propel the boat. And I did just that, for 200 yards. I felt like a Viking or something. Dave says that the term for kicking it old school is to "Scull the Tiller." And if I ever got a boat, that is so what I would name it. 
Dave says that sculling the tiller is the sailing equivalent to churning butter. The look on my face shows that I agree 100%



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say