Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Night To Remember

The idea that people are using the sinking of a great liner and subsequent death of around 2,000 has sparked a lot of conversation online. However many people, myself included, used the 100th year anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic as a night of remembrance. And good food.

I've thought about doing a remembrance party for years, and almost didn't end up doing so. But one morning I happened to catch the end of the Today show for some reason and saw the one and only James Cameron talking about his love of Titanic. This reminded me of the party I had dreamed of for a while, and I set to work planning the party.

A cookbook was ordered from my local book store, invitations were sent out, and I set to work cooking decorating and trying to find a costume.

The costume was found in my closet and elaborated with costume jewelry and things of my mothers. Finally the day arrived. I had a 5k in the morning (see United We Stand) diving practice, and then GNOYO before a full day of cooking. By the time my friends arrived in various states of costumed, I was exhausted but excited.

We sat around and ate and drank the fruit of my family and my labors and listened to music from the Edwardian Era. After we had eaten our fill we went upstairs and after some wrestling with cables settled in to watch the movie.

There were a lot of us, so fitting on the couch was somewhat of a problem. Everyone was sandwiched together and some people sat on the floor but the movie was full of laughter and jokes. A good time was had by all in the end, and we remembered one of the greatest man made ocean disasters of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say