Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Your Trying To Mend a Broken Heart by Hitting it With a Hammer

Many of you know that my baby sister is adopted. I was seven when we adopted her, and thats just what our family has always looked like. Because of that, I know that when I have a family one day, I want to adopt also. The old saying that blood is thicker then water has a somewhat different meaning for me. My baby sister is my blood, even if the blood that runs in her veins is different then mine.

I don't know my baby sisters background. We have her birth mothers name somewhere, although I have never seen it. We don't know if she is alive or not, married or not, why she gave up my baby sister. Or at least as far as I know we don't, my mom and dad might. However when illagetament children were born in the US about 200 years ago, it was put on their birth certificates. In a time where people were incredibly conservative, this being discovered could ruin someones life.

Blossoms in the Dust is the story of Edna Gladley who after emense tragedy in her personal life, opens up an orphanage and eventually works to have the records of illagitamicy removed. The movie was made in 1941, and is stunning. The acting is superb and the costumes are breath taking. I recorded it on Turner Classic Movies, which is quickly becoming my favorite channel. There are so many amazing movies that are in danger of being lost to the ages. I would recomend Blossoms in the Dust to everyone, it is both heart warming and heart breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say