Thursday, February 23, 2012

Increadably Authentic

I know I haven't finished blogging about Ev's big new York bar mitzvah but I have to talk about where I was for Mardi Gras this year. My family and aunt, uncle, and cousin from Norway went to Eunice for Cajun Mardi Gras. It was at least a two hour drive, probably more, and by the time we got to Eunice for the night it was pretty late. We stood in the town square, or something like that, and people were standing around under a balcony drinking and having a good time. On the balcony were a bunch of people throwing cups, hats, shirts and most of all beads.

The next morning my aunt, uncle, cousin, dad and baby sister got up early and went to Mamou and Eunice for the scavenger hunt type thing. They ran around, begged for food, and tried to catch live chickens. My mom and I slept in and then drove together to Mamou. We parked outside of the family dollar, and saw this on the door.


Some things you will only see off the beaten track. Right off the parking lot was a field of dandelions, so I stopped, not to smell the flowers but to make a wish.
My mom and I caught up with the rest of the family, who were standing talking to a man with a stand about the origins of the festival. We caught the tail end of it but it was still a pretty cool shpeal. 
After talking to the man, my dad got some of his yummy popcorn balls. I am not normally a fan of that kind of thing, but they were yummy.
My dad seemed to really love it. We moseyed on down for a while, just enjoying the scenery and decided to get some hats. My baby sister and cousin got baseball caps, and I got a cowboy hat. The other two almost did, but couldn't find one that they liked. 

I think I fit right in don't y'all? The town was so interesting, full of life, music, dancing, and good food. At one point the parade rolled through, full of horses, and "floats" which were basically flatbeds pulled behind trucks. Beads were tossed, my aunt even caught one from muses. 
Little bit of local color, a birds nest, and my dads head
Afterwards we went back to Eunice. The parade was over but there was live music and good food. We all laid on the grass and listened to music. It was so picturesque and authentic. An experience I will never forget. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say