Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Happiest Place on Earth

When I was a little girl, my family went to Disney World. I was five, and it was myself, my mother, my father, my Grandma Luna, and my Uncle Dave. Dave isn't really my uncle, but he and my father have been friends since far before I came along. And somehow I just got into the habit of calling him Uncle Dave.

I grew up in with Disney cartoons, far before the age of Miley Cyrus and before the world figured out that all the Disney girls ended up with drug addictions and alcohol problems. On the family trip to Yosemite, also with my Grandma Luna, we listened to the Little Mermaid soundtrack so many times that to this day I know it by heart. And much to my fathers dislike he does too. But by far Beauty and the Beast was my favorite princess. She was strong, smart and beautiful. And unlike the rest of them she didn't need a prince to save her. Not that five year old me really thought about that aspect of it all, but she was my favorite. When I was two I sat through Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, much to the amazement of my family, and when I was three I was her for Halloween. Going to Disney World she was the princess I wanted to see most.

This year my family went to Disney World again, this time it was just me, my mom and dad, and my baby sister. We went to a few parks, but over all I loved going to Disney World. As soon as I got on the parking lot tram I reverted back to my five year old self. It was lovely. We road splash mountain and space mountain, two things that I never thought I would do in a million years.


We went to the Hall of Presidents, and like a said earlier road the buzz light year ride and lot totally and were stuck for something like ten or twenty minuets. My dads game maxed out in fact, just proving that he loves gaming more then he is willing to admit.

I even got to see Belle, although it was not as magical as I remembered.

Me and Belle

My family and I also saw the daily flag retreat, which I had learned about a few days before from some of my friends at Soldiers Angels. The color guard played and the flag was lowered and given to a veteran, one of the more touching parts of the day.

All of our Heros should be honored like this


The fire works were one of the more amazing parts of the night, the way the fire works lit up the nights sky and played in time with some of my favorite Disney songs. It was magical, incredibly magical.


I also learned from a few people working there about internships offered at the parks. You stay in dorms, although the price is taken out of your pay, and even earn college credit for it amazingly enough. The people I talked to really seemed to love it, in fact one of them was on an extension of her second internship. People come from colleges all over the world and you end up meeting loads of people around your age from ever corner of the globe and have the opportunity to work in every aspect of the park, from maintenance to food to shops to character work. It sounds like the experience of a life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say