Monday, February 6, 2012

Land of the Free Home of the Brave

I was born in the United States of America, and like most Americas some of my recent family are immigrants. My Grandma Great Grandma and Grandpa on my mothers side all immigrated to the USA after World War II. My fathers side immigrated a lot farther back, the first recorded ancestor is John Rouse who came to America in 1717 from Germany, and was sold into indentured servitude by the captain of his ship.

Living in the United States I feel like I have grown up taking for granted many important things. Although rights are not 100% equal for women, it is a lot better here then some places. Our government isn't perfect, but when is one? You can not please everyone, and it is hard to find a balance. Not to say that I think that things are fine here, and I agree that we need to strive for better, but honestly many citizens should look around the rest of the world and realize that we are doing pretty well over here. I would change a few things, but change is coming and hopefully soon everyone really will be equal. When our constitution was written, the meaning of all men are created equal was that all white land owning men were created equal. But over the years, and after a few bloody and unfortunate wars, equality has spread. And in the next decade I hope to see the United States prosper and give everyone the inalienable rights to Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. It is what our country was founded upon and we need to strive harder to make those dreams a full and incontestable reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say