Sunday, September 11, 2011

Spa Time? More like story time

Very recently I read The Spa by Fay Weldon. I actually started to read it before I went to camp, and then had to bring it back to the library before finishing. Then later on, once I was back home, I picked it back up and started to read it again. The Spa focuses on a woman Phoebe, who after a very interesting year, decides to go to a spa for Christmas as her husband has to take care of his mother who doesn't like her much, and her children who live in the states and can not make it to England this year. So Phoebe goes to what seems like an absolutely awful spa, and instead of receiving world class treatments like she was promised, she hears stories from the other guests. Stories of love, murder, forgiveness, and sex changes. Each story different, but yet all connected.

I guess I liked The Spa. Reading it in two different months made it quite difficult to follow, because what happens at the beginning of the book is distanced, but then referenced multiple times. But even though I read it so far apart, The Spa was still incredibly fascinating. To have so many stories in one book really brings you in, but at the same time there is a main character to empathize with and a main plot line along with all the sub stories. And the main plot line itself isn't all that bad. In some books, when there are suppose to be a bunch of sub stories, the main plot is just a device to string together the story. But with The Spa, the plot in its own entity was quite enjoyable. So go grab The Spa today, I can guarantee that you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say