Monday, September 26, 2011

Frankly My Dear

Growing up I had never really heard of Gone With the Wind. I mean, I must have its referenced all the time in pop culture but I never really gotten the really understood what was going on. The more popular quotes from Gone With the Wind are funny on their own anyway. But that all changed in the 5th grade. For some reason, and I am not really sure what possessed me, I decided to read Gone With the Wind.

I got it from the local library that summer, and set about trying to read it. At first, Gone With the Wind wasn't really my style. But something clicked and I fell in love. I have read that book at least 5 times, and my record timing for reading it is about 2 days. After I finished the book, I decided to watch the movie.  Now I entered with trepidation, because as any good book reader knows, movies are NEVER as good as their books. And at first I was disappointed. The sheer amount of plot detail left out almost made me cry.

But then I stopped to actually enjoy the film. And when I did I fell in love. Skipping over the fact that major characters were omitted, it stuck pretty closely to the plot of the story. The cuts were pretty necessary, considering the film was about 3 or 4 hours long but the details were absolutely stunner. The dresses were magnificent, and scenery was spectacular, and just they way everything was played out. It was just wonderful. Definitely worth the 3 hours!

1 comment:

Say what you mean and mean what you say