Friday, August 19, 2011

Its a good thing I don't have braces

Tonight, I cooked chicken kiev and fresh corn pudding cockaigne from Joy of Cooking. And let me tell you, those are two labor intensive dishes that pay off in the long run. I cooked the corn pudding first, because it has to bake for an hour. The first part of the recipe was two cups of corn, cut from the cob. Now that doesn't sound to bad, all of my friends with braces do it every time we are served corn on the cob. Looks incredibly easy, right? Wrong. I think I spent a half an hour struggling with two and a half cobs of corn, trying to get the kernels off. Most of the corn got off the board and the bits I could save I did. But more times then not the corn got into some of the oddest places. I found one piece today on the counter behind where I was slicing. As you can imagine I got pretty frustrated, and started to talk to the corn, which greatly amused my friend Andrew, as he watched from my computer. Luckily after the laborious process of cutting, the rest of the recipe was quite easy. Just some light mixing, measuring, and dolloping and whoop into the oven she goes, and I sat back to enjoy the wonderful smells wafting from the oven.

After a short walk, I came back to cook chicken kiev. I tackled kiev a few years ago, and from my memory it was quite easy. My memory served for the most part, however I had forgotten how long it took to prepare. In the end I gained my stride and after sending my father to the store to grab some more eggs, made a wonderful kiev that my whole family enjoyed. As for the corn pudding, well we devoured the entire thing that night, and the next day I made another out of the remaining corn which was finished before my dad came home from work. Success, I think so.

Look at that
Its heart stopping, southern good 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you mean and mean what you say